Information Regarding Our Area
February 18, 1850
As of April 2010 – 45,578
Approx. 1,018.58 square miles of this total, 75,072 acres (11%) are located within the Stanislaus National Forest.
4th Congressional District:
Tom McClintock, Congressman
8th Senatorial District:
Tom Berryhill, Senator
5th Assembly District:
Frank Bigelow, Assembly Member
3rd District Board of Supervisors: Michael C. Oliveira, District Supervisor
District 3 includes the communities of Douglas Flat, Murphys, Brice Station, Forest Meadows, Hathaway Pines, Avery, Arnold, White Pines, Dorrington, Camp Connell, Cottage Springs, Skyhigh, Tamarack, Sherman Acres and part of Vallecito.
Water Providers in our area
- Calaveras County Water District (CCWD): www.ccwd.org
- Snowshoe Springs HOA: http://www.snowshoespringsassociation.com/water-information
- Blue Lake Springs Mutual Water Company: http://www.blsmwc.com
- Fly-In- acres Mutual Water Company: http://www.ccwd.org/pdf/info/news/fly-in_ad/Fly-InUpdates_112013/Fly-InAcresFAQ_11-2013.pdf
- Bear Valley Water District: http://www.bearvalleywater.org/contactus.html
- Lake Alpine Water Company: http://www.lakealpinewater.com
- Union Public Utility Dist. (Serving parts of Muphys): http://www.manta.com/c/mm2phxc/union-public-utility-district
In this issue: Explore our town. . .
Here is a list of our areas “Best Kept Secrets” you might want to check them out!
Did you know . . .
1. Arnold has a library—next to the fire station at 1065 Blagen Rd., Arnold, CA 95223. 209-795-1009
2. UPS drop station—located in the Meadowmont Pharmacy, 2182 Highway 4, C-230, Arnold, CA (209) 795-1155
3. Dry Cleaners—also located in the Meadowmont Pharmacy 2182 Highway 4, C-230, Arnold, CA (209) 795-1155
4. Gelato Sold in Arnold—in cone or cups you can find it at Hughes Video Box Office (the video rental store). 728 Highway 4, Arnold, CA 95223, (209) 795-2200
5. Best Handmade Ice Cream—JoMa’s Artisan Ice Cream found in Muphys, totally handmade ice cream. 386 Main St, Murphys, CA 95247, (209) 728-8655
6. Adventure gear for summer, fall, winter or spring -Sierra Nevada Adventure Company—(SNAC) in Arnold rents all kinds of gear; they are there to serve the adventurer in you! 2293 Hwy 4, Arnold, CA 95223, (209) 795-9310
7. Adventure Park for Kids—Take your children on an amazing mountain adventure. The Bear Valley Adventure Park features new attractions this summer that will have your kids wanting to come back for more fun. Go to their website to see all the activities. A one time fee will give access to all of the activities, including swimming pool during the hot summer months! Bear Valley has it going on all summer. bearvalley.com or (209) 753-2301 X777
8. River Rafting —O.A.R.S. West, Inc. operates on the North Fork of the Stanislaus River as a permitted outfitter under the Stanislaus National Forest. Rafting on the North Fork Stanislaus River is a top California whitewater adventure. (800) 346-6277
9. “Glamping” (Camping with Glamour) is now available in Bear Valley-Imagine waking up in the comfort of a hotel room with the serenity of a campsite. Bear Valley offers Glamping tents facing the breathtaking canyon of the vast Mokelumne wilderness and Mokelumne Peak. Each Glamping unit is equipped with a cozy Queen-size-bed, heating, and electricity – all powered by sustainable solar energy. Make plans to join in a special part of the amazing California Sierra! 2-night stay required. www.bearvalley.com or call (209) 753-2327 x100
10. Taxi Cab—Use the Murphys Taxi Service call TIM VARGAS (209) 795-7777
11. UBER—Need a lift call for an UBER ride? We have a driver in Murphys. Remember the drive may be driving in a non-cell service area. Down load the UBER app— UBER Driver Matt Cashara-Friday’s (6:30pm-2:00am) and Saturday’s ( 5:00pm—2:00am)
12. The Best Deli In A Gas Station—the Arnold Chevron and Deli is one of the best delis around, 994 Highway 4, Arnold. (209) 795-1301
13. You Can Have Cell Service At Your Cabin—if you have WIFY, simply buy one of Verizon Wirelesses Booster Boxes and you too can have cell service at you home. Visit your local Verizon store and check it out.
14. Coffee Connoisseur—Check out “Bistro Espresso” in Arnold or if you like to grind your own, you will love our local coffee companies “Mother Lode Coffee Roasting Co.” sold in Big Trees Market, try their “49er” blend located 14397 Cuesta Ct. Sonora, CA 95370, 209-533-2750 or “Gold Country Roasters” an artisan retailer and wholesale coffee roasting company they are located in the charming and historic town of Murphys 78 Scott St., Ste A, Murphys, CA 95247. (209) 728-8634
15. Movie Theater—Angels 6 Movie Theater Vintage movie theater. Located at 1228 South Main Street, Angels Camp. (209) 736-6768
16. Farmers Market –The market runs every Friday evening from 5pm to dusk, June – September, at Utica Park in Angels Camp. It has food and craft vendors along with live music, a featured winery and beer sales each week. Sponsored by Angels Camp Business Association. www.angelscampbusiness.com
17. Geocaching—also referred to as GPS stash hunting, is a recreational activity in which someone “buries” something for others to try to find using a Global Positioning System ( GPS) receiver. The pursuit can be thought of as a GPS-enabled treasure hunt. Many are hidden in our area and it is fun for all! www.geocaching.com
18. Pizza in Camp Connell—Camp Connell General Store has a new wood burning pizza oven and they are making pizza to go on Fridays and Saturday from 12:00 (noon) until 9:00 pm. Call in your order and pick up a great pizza. (209) 795-1121